Scholarships & Grant-making Is At The Heart Of What We Do
Since 2000, the Jewish Community Foundation of the West and our donors have made scholarships and grants to a wide range of programs and institutions, both Jewish and in the broader community, locally and around the world.
Carry Cohn Jewish Education Fund
This fund was established as a tribute to Carry Cohn whose commitment to Jewish Education and Values has been a driving force and inspiration in the Sacramento community for generations. The fund has been designed to encourage and assist young adults in the greater Sacramento region (including the Tahoe/Truckee area, Chico, and other regions where JCFW has donors or in which it operates) who are interested in deepening their commitment to a better Jewish future by advancing their Jewish education.
Transportation Support for the Jewish Elderly
This fund is designed to facilitate the transportation needs of the Jewish community. Qualified applicants will need to be Jewish 501(c)(3) organizations in the Greater Sacramento area.
Madeline Rosenthal Goodwin Memorial Scholarship
Theodore and Susan Goodwin established this fund in memory of Theodore's late mother, Madeline, who was a lifelong community activist as well as a strong believer in education and community service. The Scholarship is designed to support students who are pursuing a career path to improve society in such fields as community development, the needs of a particular community or population, counseling, education, environmental protection, and innovative social or economic development. The scholarship will be awarded to a student who has demonstrated a commitment to Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and is a resident of the Greater Sacramento region.
Phillips Campership Endowment Fund
This fund is designed to support Jewish Summer Camps in the greater Sacramento area. Qualified applicants will be Jewish 501(c)3 organizations running summer camp programs.
William and Sedell Belson Campership Endowment Fund
This fund was founded to support Jewish Summer Camps in the greater Sacramento area. Qualified applicants will be Jewish 501(c)3 organizations running summer camp programs.
William Belson Memorial Scholarship Fund
This fund was developed to provide need-based scholarships to students attending Shalom School in Sacramento, California, or other need-based scholarships for students attending institutions of Jewish Learning in the greater Sacramento area. Qualified applicants will be Jewish 501(c) 3 organizations running educational programs between August and July.
Tim & Pam Herman Scholarship Endowment Fund
The Sacramento State Scholarship Fund is intended to support scholarships for full-time biology or chemistry students in the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics. Pam and Tim Herman established this fund and are alumni of Sacramento State, graduating with degrees in biological sciences in 1983 and 1984 respectively. The Hermans are establishing this scholarship for fellow Hornets who need additional tuition assistance to achieve their educational goals. The goal of the scholarship is to create a level field where students are not given an advantage or disadvantage based on academic circumstances.
- A letter of request, not more than two pages. The letter should include the name and brief description of the program the applicant is attending or wishes to attend; the educational goal of the program and how the applicant feels this experience will shape her/his Jewish life. This should also include any future community activities due to participation in this program.
- A statement of financial need for the grant. This can come from a parent or the applicant and need not be an "official" financial statement.
- A letter of recommendation from a Jewish Educator, Rabbi, synagogue board member, or another Jewish professional. NOTE: If this cannot be obtained call JCFW for assistance determining what would qualify as a recommendation.
- The JCFW Grant Committee may request a personal or zoom interview.
- Applicants must be under 25
- This grant must be made to an eligible 501 c (3)
- Cover letter
- Contact information
- Proposed use of funds
- Amount requested
Questions regarding requirements and applications are to be addressed to: [email protected]