A New and Exciting JCFWest Program for Youth!
Teen Funders of Sacramento (TFS) is a youth philanthropy program run through the Jewish Community Foundation of the West, in partnership with the Jewish Federation of the Sacramento Region, that teaches Jewish middle school and high school students about philanthropy, Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and Tzedakah (charity) through engagement with local non-profit organizations and philanthropic mentors. Teens will learn grant making, collaboration, and constructive discourse skills while building community relationships and connections.
- 4 Whole group virtual meetings for 45min at 5pm. Dates are January 17th, April 18th, June 6th, and September 19th
- Civic Track Participants will meet for 3-5 hours over the course of the program with their chosen non-profit organization
- Philanthropic Track Participants will meet for 3-5 hours over the course of the program with their philanthropic mentor, respecting and following COVID-19 guidelines
- Both the Civic and Philanthropic tracks will meet as small groups in May for 45 minutes to collaborate and share
What to Expect
- Research – Seek an in-depth understanding of mission-aligned nonprofits through research, informational interviews, and volunteering.
- Report – Share learnings with your fellow TFS participants
- Decide and Allocate – Discuss, debate, and come to a consensus on which nonprofits will receive funds and how much money to allocate to each grantee.
- Communicate – Inform selected nonprofits about the awarded funds and discuss the future of their project.
Benefits of our Program
Make Lasting Connections
TFS teens will participate in team building and then work in cohorts throughout the program to learn how to think philanthropically and maximize their impact - all while building new relationships and having great social opportunities.
If accepted into the program, here is how the journey begins for both teens and parents:
There will be two virtual orientations – one for teens and one for parents – to receive the TFS schedule, gain deeper insight into the program’s impact, and have all of your questions answered.
All further meetings are just for teens.
*COVID-19 restrictions will be respected although contingency plans will be in place for in-person programming when restrictions are lifted.
**The deadline to return completed applications is December 1st, 2020. The program will begin January 2021.